|The contents of this article contains information copied directly from Bulbapedia that should be changed as soon as possible.|
|Zubat did not originate from fanon. This article can be edited freely by everyone in the community.
Despite covering an existing subject, this article may include related Fantendo content. These external sources may have more official information:
|National Dex Nr.||#041|
|Kanto Dex Nr.||#041|
|Other Regional Dex Nr(s).|
|First Appearance||Pokémon Red And Blue|
|Latest Appearance||Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire|
|Ability/ies|| Inner Focus |
|Average Weight||16.5 lbs.|
Zubat (Japanese: ズバット Zubat) is a dual-type Poison/Flying Pokémon.
Zubat is a blue, bat-like Pokémon. While it lacks eyes, it has pointed ears with purple insides and a mouth with four pointed teeth. There are two pointed teeth on both the upper and lower jaws, and a male will have larger pointed teeth than the female. It has purple wing membranes support by two, elongated fingers, and two long, thin, tails.
Zubat lives in abundance in caves. It has evolved to have neither eyes nor nostrils, instead navigating through dark environments with echolocation. As demonstrated in the anime, it will leave its abode at night with a mass of other Zubat in order to seek prey. During the daytime, Zubat sleeps hanging upside down in caves, forests, or under the eaves of old buildings, avoiding sunlight at all costs. Daylight causes Zubat to become unhealthy, and prolonged exposure can even burn its skin. However, captured and trained Zubat have been recorded as being much more tenacious in the daytime, even when directly exposed to sunbeams.
- No other Pokémon has the same type combination as the Zubat evolutionary family.
- Zubat's evolutionary line seems to have a connection with Woobat's family. Both of them are Bat Pokémon species, live in caves or other dark places, and have no visible eyes; furthermore, both of them reach their respective fully-evolved form by friendship, and both have similar Shiny forms (with green main bodies). Also, Zubat and Woobat have somewhat similar English names, both having rhyming prefixes and bat as a suffix.
- Zubat and its evolutionary relatives share their species name with Woobat. They are all known as the Bat Pokémon.
- Zubat, along with Golbat, has appeared in every regional Pokédex. This is due to the Unova Pokédex's expansion in Black 2 and White 2.
- Zubat and Golbat are the only Pokémon to appear in the lineup of every villainous team in the main series games.
- Zubat makes an appearance in Power Paintbrush Adventures as a summon. When summoned for 12 MP, Zubat uses Supersonic, which inflicts Confuse on a single foe.
Naturally, Zubat's design is inspired by bats. Its lack of eyes may come from the misconception that bats are blind.
Zubat may be a pun based on both bat and ずばっと zubatto, an onomatopoeia for when an edged tool forcefully pierces something (possibly referring to its fangs or the sound a bat makes).
← #040: Wigglytuff
#042: Golbat →