|Super Mario Puyo Pop.|
|December 01, 2014|
|1 to 4 players|
|E for Everyone|
Princess Peach is hosting a Puyo Pop Party! It's a contest at her castle during which participants battle in the color-crazed puzzle game, Puyo Pop!
Shortly after the tournament, Puyo Pop goes viral in the Mushroom Kingdom! Everyone is playing it and joining in on the action-packed puzzle battles.
Even Bowser and the Koopalings get their heads in the game. But this isn't good news for Mario.. Bowser and the Koopalings are planning to take over the Kingdom with their own version of Puyo Pop! Oh no! How will Mario and his friends stop them?!
Super Mario Puyo Pop's gameplay is based off of the SEGA series, Puyo Pop. Players must connect 4 Puyo of the same color in order to pop them and send Block Puyo to the opponent. The player that has no more space on their field or touches the X area of the field loses.
Types of Puyo
Unlike the original Puyo Pop games by SEGA, the puzzle pieces in Super Mario Puyo Pop are not colored blobs. Instead, they are blocks, yet are still referred to as Puyo.
- Mushroom Block - Colored blocks with pictures of Mushrooms on them. They replace the regular colored Puyo from the original series. They come in red, blue, yellow, green, and purple.
- Brown Brick - regular bricks that appear on an opponent's field when you attack them with chains. They replace the Block Puyo from the original series.
- Gold Brick - bricks that appear on an opponent's field when you attack them with chains. If a player pops Mushroom Blocks that are touching Gold Bricks, the player's attack power will increase greatly. Gold Bricks are used in some battles such as those against Wario, Waluigi, Lemmy, Pauline, Birdo, and sometimes Daisy.They replace Point Puyo from the original series.
- Ice Brick - bricks that appear on an opponent's field when you attack them with chains. They make battles the most difficult because unlike normal bricks, one cannot pop them in one move. After they are popped, they transform into regular Brown Bricks, which then must be popped again. They are used in some battles such as those against Wendy and sometimes Rosalina. Ice Bricks replace the Hard Puyo from the original Puyo Pop series.
Super Mario Puyo Pop has a vast amount of characters. Although they do not vary in stats, they add a lot more to the game aesthetically. Characters may also have alternate costumes, which can be unlocked through various accomplishments.
- Mario - the main character of the game. When battled as a CPU, Mario is a strong opponent and usually attacks with 3-5 chains. He is usually battled with only 3 colors, but during the last fight against him, he is fought with 5 colors.
- Luigi - He is very excited when it comes to a game of Puyo Pop. Like Mario, he is a strong opponent when fought as a CPU, usually performing 2 or 3 chains.
- Princess Peach - princess of the Mushroom Kingdom and host of the Puyo Pop party! When fought as a CPU, Peach is a bit slow but usually performs 3-5 chains to attack.
- Princess Daisy - princess of Sarasaland. Daisy usually does 3 chains at a time and is a speedy opponent.
- Alternate costumes: Sports outfit
- Toad - a fairly easy opponent, but becomes a lot more clever in later stages.
- Alternate costumes: 4 other colors aside from the default red. Blue, pink, yellow, green.
- Toadette - a fairly easy opponent, but like Toad, she becomes a lot more clever in later stages.
- Yoshi - Usually makes colored groups before starting chains, hoping to do a lot of damage.
- Alternate costumes: 8 other colors aside from the default green: red, blue, yellow, light blue, purple, black, and white.
- Wario - usually makes 3 chains at a time. He is usually fought with Gold Bricks, making him quite difficult to defeat.
- Alternate costumes: Wario Ware biker clothes.
- Waluigi - like Wario, he is usually fought with the Gold Bricks rule.
- Birdo - she is always fought with 4 colors. Birdo stacks her Mushroom Blocks on the sides of her field, much like the character Harpy from the Puyo Pop series.
- Alternate costumes: 8 other colors aside from the default pink: red, blue, yellow, green, purple, black, and white.
- Rosalina - a skilled opponent. When fought as a CPU, Rosalina fights in a similar manner to Yoshi, except much more powerful. She usually stacks many different groups of Mushroom Blocks together, hoping to create a large amount of chains. Most of the time Rosalina is fought with only 5 colors, but in Sherbet Land, she is fought with 3 colors only.
- Pauline - when fought as a CPU, both Pauline's and the player's fields start off with bricks from the beginning. This is not much of a threat, however, as the bricks only take up 2 rows of the field.
- Baby Mario - a simple opponent. He usually performs only 1 chain at a time, but is very fast.
- Baby Luigi - a simple opponent. He usually performs only 1 chain at a time, but is very fast.
- Baby Peach - a simple opponent. She usually performs only 1 chain at a time, but is very fast. Also, she is usually fought with Ice Bricks.
- Baby Daisy - fights similarly to Baby Peach, but when fought as a CPU, her battles only use regular bricks and no gold or ice ones.
- Baby Wario - like his adult counterpart, Baby Wario loves Gold Bricks. He, like the rest of the babies, usually performs only 1 chain at a time. Unlike the others, however, the Gold Bricks increase his power making him the strongest baby of them all.
- King Boo - fought with Ice Bricks most of the time. He is the boss of the Haunted Mansion stage.
- Bowser - a very fast opponent. As a CPU he is always fought with 5 colors and tries to attack with 3-6 chains.
- Bowser Jr. - fought with sometimes 4 colors and sometimes 5. Like Bowser, he tries to make lots of chains.
- Larry - always fought with 4 colors.
- Wendy O. Koopa - usually fought with the Ice Bricks, making her a bit difficult to fight. She usually performs 2 chains at a time.
- Roy - Fought with 3 colors and regular bricks.
- Iggy - when fought as a CPU, he repeatedly does 1 chain over and over to continually send bricks to his opponent, matching his mischievous personality . However, he usually performs more than 1 chain every now and then.
- Morton Koopa Jr. -usually fought with the Ice Bricks, making him a bit difficult to fight. He is quite slow. In most of his battles, both Morton's and the player's fields start off with Ice Bricks from the beginning, which add to the challenge.
- Ludwig von Koopa - usually fought with the Ice Bricks, making him a bit difficult to fight.
- Lemmy - Always fought with 5 colors.
Enemies also appear in the game. They can also be played as in free battle.
They are fought in between more important character matches. For example, in the stage Morton's Fort, The list of opponents goes as follows. Dry Bones, Piranha Plant, Dry Bones, Wario, Waluigi, Morton. Another example is Sherbet Land, which goes as follows: Ice Piranha, Bumpty, Mr. Blizzard, Rosalina, Lemmy, Larry.
Enemies usually start with a lot of bricks on their side of the field, so as to make their matches shorter. During fights with more important characters, such as a boss, there are little or no bricks on their starting field.
Enemies may also have sub-species, which function the same way as the alternate costumes of regular characters.
Enemies marked with a spaced bullet are alternate costumes/species varations.
LIST NOT COMPLETE
- Mii - they do not appear in story mode, but can be used in free battle. They use their voices from Mario Kart Wii. Depending on their color and gender, their voices change. Unlike other Nintendo games, which give playable Miis unique outfits, the Miis in Super Mario Puyo Pop wear the ordinary colored outfits from the Mii Maker.
- Super Mario Puyo Pop is based on the Sega series, Puyo Puyo Pop.
- A video clip of Puyo Pop Fever one of the games of the Puyo Pop franchise. Note that the 'fever' mode does not appear in Super Mario Puyo Pop.
- A video clip of Puyo Pop for Gameboy Advance. This video demonstrates the Point Puyo and Hard Puyo, which appear in Super Mario Puyo Pop as Gold Bricks and Ice Bricks.
- Another video clip of Puyo Pop for Gameboy Advance.