This page can be edited freely by everyone in the community. You can add whatever you want on this page without consequences, provided it follows the Fantendo rules. Just make sure you're not adding bad content for bad content's sake, or removing content added by others.
Spirits are a gameplay element found in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The souls of beloved characters take on these mysterious forms after the events of the adventure mode, World of Light. Spirits, once rescued, can be assigned to a fighter to boost their fighting capability, but must be fought first.
What Is A Spirit?
That's a tough question. Spirits were once the famous characters we know and love, such as Mimikyu, Waluigi, and Silver. A mysterious entity known as Galeem sent all but Kirby to the World of Light. Fighters were transformed into Trophies, and the newly formed Spirits can do nothing but possess the forms of these Trophies - known as Puppet Fighters - to express themselves and fight
These Puppet Fighters attack the player with traits of the spirit possessing them, mimicking battles the best that the Puppet Fighter can with their moveset. For instance, a battle with Sonic the Hedgehog under the control of the Able Sisters' spirit will have three Sonic the Hedgehogs attack with drills. Each Spirit battle is unique and tailored to that spirit's traits, making these fights fairly unique even for Smash.
Once a Spirit's Puppet Fighter has been defeated, the player can fire an attack at the puppet fighter within to free the Spirit trapped within. They are surronded by a shield with a opening, so timing is key. However, if the player hits the shield instead, the part of the shield that was effected will be destroyed and the player can fight the Spirit again to free them. Then, the Spirit is ready to help out the fighters and get back to the real world! Spirits can be equipped to give the fighter unique abilities, boosted stats, items, or anything of the sorts! It's all dependant on the Spirit chosen, and the supporting Spirits.
Only a single Primary Spirit can be equipped at a time, and will be either leans toward being a Attack, Grab, Defense, or Balanced spirit. The triangle of Attack, Grab, and Defense works like this:
Attack beats Grab
Grab beats Shield
Shield beats Attack
Spirits coming from Nintendo franchises, or series associated with the Super Smash Bros. series... or even outside of it. That being said, Fanon characters should be added from the Fanon header below. Feel free to add your own!
Acerola ★ NOVICE
- Start the battle wearing a Franklin Badge
- Enemy has a tendency to use Phantom Slash more often than usual - Very floaty - Has extended invincibility frames
- Enemy will gradually recover health - Attacks have greater range
Daroach ★★★★ LEGEND
- Extended dodge roll and grab range
King Dedede Pikachu x3, Pichu x3
- 3 tiny Pikachu and Pichu - Large Dedede must be defeated - Item tidal wave: Boss Galaga
Sissel ★★★ ACE
- Extended grab range
- Tends to grab - Tends to go after items - Never uses any special move
Risky Boots ★★★ ACE
- Extends projectile range. -Boosts power of projectiles by 1.25x
Bayonetta Bowser Jr. x3
- Bayonetta only taunts the entire match - Bowser Jr.s only fire cannon balls - Bowser Jr.'s strength is buffed by 1.30x
Sans ★★★★ LEGEND
- Increases power by 3x - Weakens defense by 3x
- Ness's power is increased by 3x - Ness's defense is descreased by 3x
Tippi ★★ ADVANCED
- Grants the fighter an extra jump - Causes fighter to fall more slowly
- Enemy Peaches are tiny and speedy - Item tidal wave: Tanooki Leaf
Agumon ★★ ADVANCED
- Boosts power of Fire based attacks by 25%
- Weight is increased by 25% - Item tidal wave: Superspicy Curry
King Wart ★★ ADVANCED
- Jumps are now longer by 2x
- Jump is now longer by 2X - Only uses Side and Up B -Taunts a lot
Tsareena ★★ ADVANCED
- Kicking power increased by 1.5x. - Kicking attacks decreases target's physical attack power by 1.12x
- Bayonetta will often make use of Witch Time - Bayonetta's other attacks are kicks, will never use Bullet Arts - Item tidal wave: Lip's Stick
Frost Man ★★★ ACE
- Boost the power of ice-based attacks - Boost Smash damage and knockback
Donkey Kong Ice Climbers x2
- Donkey Kong tend to use Hand Slap more often and have ice property for all of his attacks - Ice Climbers only uses their Special Moves - Tidal wave item: Freezie
Eddie ★★ ADVANCED
- Boost the power of recovery items
Mega Man x3
- Mega Man will never use his Mega Buster attacks (neutral and side attack, side smash attack) - Mega Man's power is increased by x1.6 - Item tidal wave: Food
Petey Piranha ★★★★ LEGEND
- Boost the power of all non-special attacks by 1.5x
- Item tidal wave: Ramblin' Evil Mushroom - Size increased by 2.5x - Piranha Plant's smash attacks can cause a mushroom to grow on the player's head.
Peter Griffin ★★★★ LEGEND
-Jumps have 1.5x less height
- Wario only uses standard attacks and Wario Waft
Meowth ★ NOVICE
- All stats are boosted temperoarily
- Enemy starts with Superspicy Curry, only it doesn't have a firery effect
Rookie ★ NOVICE
- Starts battle with a Fire Flower
- Enemy starts with a Fire Flower - Grabs are replaced with a grappling hook
Mach Rider ★★ ADVANCED
- Speed stat gets a big boost
- Enemy is always on his bike
T-Rex ★★★ ACE
- Is 3x normal size for the first 20 seconds.
- Enemy is 3x normal size - Enemy is 3x more powerfull
Egg Dragoon ★★★★ LEGEND
- Starts battle with a Super Mushroom and a Drill
- Enemy is 3x normal size - Enemy always has a drill -All enemies only use their neutral special
Yiga Assassin ★★ ADVANCED
- Healing items heal 30% more damage. - Invisibility is granted if you stand still for five seconds
Diddy Kong x8
- Item tidal wave: Bananas - Enemy is distracted by items - Enemy turns invisible if standing still for at least five seconds
Metal Sonic ★★★ ACE
- Starts the battle with Metal Box, Blaster & Jet Pack
- Enemy starts with a Metal Box, Blaster & Jet Pack - Power increased by 2x
Godzilla ★★★★ LEGEND
- Start the battle 3x bigger
- Enemy is 5x bigger - Mostly only uses standard attacks and Neutral B
Creeper ★★ ADVANCED
- Starts the battle with Bomber
Piranha Plant x4
- All enemies start with Bomber - Enemies consistently pursue player - Tidal wave item: Bomber
Pink Gold Peach ★★★★ LEGEND
- Start the battle wearing a Metal Box
-Enemy always has Metal Cap - Speed is 3x increased
8-Bit Mario ★★★★ LEGEND
- Start the battle with a Koopa Shell or Fire Flower -Jump high increased by 2x
-Starts battle with unlimited Shells and Fire Flowers -Randomly gains Invincibility Star -Jump high increased by 3x
The Grinch ★★★★ LEGEND
- Bathe in the tears of the people who thought the leak was real.
-Assist Trophies of Shadow and Issac appear to help Ken. Sakurai's Mii Fighter, Incineroar and Piranha Plant will appear to assist you.
Pauline ★★ ADVANCED
- Up B goes higher by 2x -starts battle with Spring or barrel item
Peach and Donkey Kong
-Donkey Kong will often protect Peach via carrying her -Peach only uses standard attacks and Up B
Batman ★★★★ LEGEND
- Strength is increased by 2x -start battle with boomerang or grappling hook -Player will alway be in darkest alt
-Starts battle with smoke bomb will only use grabs, Side, and Up B -Strengh increased by 3x -Male Robin and Bayonetta will assist opponent, like Dick Grayson and Batwoman
Literally Sakurai ★★★★★ Sakurai
- Remove your opponents from the game.
-You instantly die if you try to play against him.
Goku ★★★ ACE
- Player gains the ability to float -Strength increases as more damage is taken
-Opponent can float -As he takes more damage, he gets stronger -Pokeballs spawn but only spawn Raquaza (and only 7 will spawn per battle
The Batter ★★★ ACE
- Your fighter becomes 2x stronger -Items and Pokeballs will become more damaging
- Can only use Forward Tilt, Forward Smash, and Side Special -Final Smash balls will become more often to appear
Ralsei ★★★ ACE
-Food (cake) has a chance to spawn near the player. Each item heals 10%.
-Minute time limit -Enemy has a tendency to use Sing more often and will avoid conflict -Enemy will be assisted by Marth and Ridley
Joseph Joestar ★★★ ACE
- Increases projectiles' power by 50%
Wii Fit Trainer
- Prefers to stay away from the player - Deep Breathing's speed and effect duration do not decrease after it is used - Item tidal wave: Boomerang
Caesar Anthonio Zeppeli ★★ ADVANCED
- Increases the power of water moves
- Increased Jump height. - Enemy prefers to use Water Shuriken.
Jotaro Kujo ★★★★ LEGEND
- The character your playing as will go farther in range
- Bayonetta has faster firing rate and shoots for a longer period of time - Bayonetta will prefer to use Witch Time when up close
Jolyne Cujoh ★★ ADVANCED
- Items will be more often to be picking up, as they will gravitate to you quickly
- The stage shall be in Flat Zone X -Items will spawn a lot more -Little Mac will be able to tank some hits
Morpho Knight ★★★ ACE
- Heal over time
Mega Meta Knight
- Enemy eqiupped with Black Hole
- Stage is Omega Great Cave Offensive
Solomon ★★★ ACE
- Boosts resistance to darkness
- Match is stamina
- Enemy equipped with Staff and Super Leaf
- Standard Attacks are boosted by 2x
- Enemy taunts after you lose a stock
Escargoon ★ NOVICE
- Boosts item transformation time
- Enemy's defense is lowered by 1.5x.
- Taunts after getting a hit in.
- King Dedede will appear after a minute to defeat him if you don't.
Heaven Acension DIO ★★★★ LEGEND
- Rewrites every move to not happen
- Cannot attack otherwise you instantly lose
Spy ★★★ ACE
- Boosts damage to enemies' backs
- The enemy will occasionally turn invisible - The enemy favors Side Specials - Successful Back Slash attacks will deal increased damage
Ninja Turtles ★★★ ACE
- Start the battle with Killing Edge - Speed and jump height boosted for the first 30 seconds
- The enemies will attack as a group - They regularly use Killing Edges and Deku Nuts - Team-based attacks deal increased damage
Carly Rae Jepsen ★★★★ LEGEND
- Start the battle with Killing Edge - Sword attacks boosted
- The enemies love to taunt - They're also merciless - Good luck
Mecha-Drago ★★★ ACE
-Start the battle in Metal form
- The enemy is giant -The enemy becomes Metal at high damage -The enemy deals more and takes more damage from slash/stab attacks
King Ghidorah ★★★★ LEGEND
-Start battles with a Beam Sword.
- The enemy is giant. -The floor is electrified
Tracer ★★★★ LEGEND
- Increased move speed
- The enemy has greatly increased move speed - Enemy starts the battle with a Super Scope
Sobble ★ NOVICE
- Can be enhanced at level 99
- The enemy turns invisible periodically - The enemy tends to avoid conflict
Grookey ★ NOVICE
- Can be enhanced at level 99
Ivysaur, Diddy Kong
- The enemy's grass attacks and grabs are stronger - The enemy fights better on the ground - Earthquakes will periodically shake the stage
Scorbunny ★ NOVICE
- Can be enhanced at level 99
- The enemy is permanently equipped with Superspicy Curry - The enemy never uses electric attacks
Physical Alice ★★★ ACE
- No ability
Bayonetta and Duck Hunt
- The enemy (Bayonetta) starts with a Death's Scythe - The enemy (Duck Hunt) is giant - Defeat the main fighter (Bayonetta) to win
DJ Grooves ★★ ADVANCED
- No ability
- The enemy starts with a Gooey Bomb - Bob-ombs will sometimes rain from the sky - Timed Stamina Battle
Rokit ★★★ ACE
- Starts battle with a Ray Gun
- The enemy loves to jump - The enemy heals overtime
Koichi Hirose ★★★ ACE
- Boosts PSI powers
- PSI powers have been increased
Makoto Naegi ★★★ ACE
- Can be enhanced at level 99
- The enemy's neutral special is boosted - Timed Battle
Death Egg Robot ★★★★ LEGEND
- Super Armor
Giant Metal R.O.B and Metal Sonic
- The enemy has super armor, making it harder to flinch. - Stamina Battle
Oho Jee ★ NOVICE
- Dashing hurts opponents
Tiny King Dedede x2
-Their dashing hurts you. -Your defense lowers after a while.
Sword Kirby ★★ ADVANCED
- Can be enhanced at level 99
Kirby and Link
- The enemy likes to use it's Up B. -Enemy starts with a Killing Edge.
Beanerang Bro ★★★ ACE
-Boomerang tidal wave
-Timed battle -This enemy starts the battle with a Boomerang
Oucher Glass ★★ ADVANCED
-Timer tidal wave
-Timed Battle -A item tidal wave (Timers) will occasionally appear -Your speed is reduced -Periodic earthquakes will shake the stage, but these are very scarce
Hal ★ NOVICE
-Equipped with Smoke Bomb
Mii Brawler x2
-Enemies are equipped with Smoke Bombs -Enemies are much faster
Muddy Buddy ★ NOVICE
-Sticky Floor Immunity
-The floor is sticky -The enemy has super armor on, making it hard to make them flinch
Captain Viridian ★★ ADVANCED
-The Screen will occasionally flip.
Arceus ★ NOVICE
-Can't be defeated, useless have a item
-Hostile Pokémon will appear (Arceus)
Spirits based on fanon characters and original characters. Feel free to add your own!
Unten ★★★ ACE
- Boosts the power of electricity-based attacks
Link, Mega Man
- Link and Mega Man fight in unison - Link's sword has electric properties
Reten ★★★★ LEGEND
- Projectiles move faster - Metal Shift
- Always uses Bullet Arts - Never uses Witch Time - Metal Shift
Hama ★★★ ACE
- Special Moves are boosted by x1.25 - Puppet Fighter takes more damage
- Never uses Counter Surge - Prefers offense to defense
Rei Carnation ★★ ADVANCED
- Increases speed by 1.25x
- Consistently uses Lloid Rocket - Prefers dodging to offense.
Mynis ★★ ADVANCED
- Temporarily increases the user's power upon completing a taunt animation
- Replaces attacks' fire properties with electric properties - Attack power and size are both decreased by 20% - Taunts after attacks that launch the player
Pearl ★★ ADVANCED
- Increases jump height by 1.5x
- Item tidal wave: Bunny Hood - Size is decreased by 0.05x - Runs away from the player
Zephyr the Dragon ★★★ ACE
- Boosts the power of electricity-based attacks - Special Moves are boosted by 25%
- Flawed AI - Size is increased by 5% - Prefers offense to defense
Rapunzel ★ NOVICE
- Increases the range of attacks and grabs
Peach, Piranha Plant
- A massive Piranha Plant will do all it can to protect Peach - Lip's Sticks will appear often
Meta-Form ★★★ ACE
- Transformation effect lasts 1.33x longer - Smash Attacks have faster starup animation and reduced endlag by 1.2x each
- The smaller R.O.B. have infinite jumps but have 0.75x defense - Main R.O.B. Rage's multiplier is increased - Metal effect for main R.O.B. until 100% damage reached
Slanito ★★★★ LEGEND
- Poison effect immunity - Fighter's projectiles may inflict a poison effect.
Robin Piranha Plant x3
- Poison Mushrooms will make Robin grow instead of regular effect, and this effect stack up to four times - Piranha Plants only use the Putrid Plant Special Move - Tidal wave item: Poison Mushroom
Princess Bowser ★★★★ LEGEND
- Start round equipped with Super Spicy Curry - Boost power of physical attacks by 1.5x
- Princess Peach is permanently equipped with both Super Spicy Curry and a Fire Flower - Princess Peach's physical attacks are boosted by 1.5x in power
Kaiden ★★★★ LEGEND
- Start round equipped with a Killing Edge - Boost power of smash attacks by 30%
- Link is permanently equipped with a Killing Edge - Link will only use sword attacks and said attacks are boosted by 50% in power
Tyler ★★★★ LEGEND
- Start round equipped with a Killing Edge - Boost power of smash attacks by 1.3x
- Marths sword has a ice effect on it - Marth will only use sword attacks and said attacks are boosted by 1.5x in power
Amaia ★★★ ACE
- Doubles the rate at which the Final Smash Meter fills - Decreases weight and fall speed by 30%
- Consistently uses Falcon Punch - Increases speed by 30% - Decreases weight and fall speed by 30%
Green Gatling ★★ ADVANCED
- Start the battle with reflector
- Strength and Speed is increased by 2x - Only uses standard attacks and Grab
- Instead of using Inhale, he screams
- Only screams, at random intervals
Lucky ★★★ ACE
- All attacks are “imbued” with a shadow-esque aura, doing 1.1x more damage.
- Trips at random intervals. - Cannot use grabs. - Slightly higher speed and jump height
Punch ★★ ADVANCED
- Causes Food items to randomly appear when the user takes damage from attacks.
- Doubled movement speed. - Slowly recovers health when not being attacked.
Ronnie & Claire ★★★★ LEGEND
- When the user is K.O.'d, their teammates' power increases temporarily and they regain some health
- The Puppet Fighters' speed is increased by 15% - The Puppet Fighters' weight is decreased by 15% - Ridley will prioritize protecting Isabelle - If Isabelle is defeated first, Ridley gains a large power boost for the rest of the fight - If Ridley is defeated first, Isabelle's health is fully restored
Glenster 'Navy' Salt ★★★★ LEGEND
- Jump height is increased by 1.25x - Everyone starts with a 'Beastball'
- Ness' bat has a 'Poison' effect - Health slowly heals up if left untouched for 5 seconds - PSI is increased by 1.5x
Vahala ★★★★ LEGEND
- Fire-based attacks increase in power by 66%. - Start the battle with Superspicy Curry -Start the battle with 50% damage.
- Charizard starts with Superspicy Curry. - All fighters are easier to launch - Charizard will use Flare Blitz more often.
App ★★★ ACE
- Metal Killer
- Dangerously high winds are in effect - Enemy starts the battle with a Golden Hammer
Rinddel ★★★ ACE
- 20% chance to cause Freeze with all attacks - Jump height is increased by 1x
Lucario, Ice Climbers
- Both Puppet Fighters' jump height is increased by 1.25x - Ice Climbers use only Ice Shot and Blizzard - Lucario's Aura Sphere, Force Palm, and Double Team counterattack have a 50% chance to cause Freeze
Schelm ★★★ ACE
- Weight decreased by 25% - Falling speed decreased by 1.5x
- Luigi is defensive and opportunistic - Luigi's Luigi Cyclone turns him invisible for the duration - Both fighters are easier to launch
Sailor Cats ★★ ADVANCED
Isabelle & Mii Brawler x3
-Main Enemy prefers Side Special.
-Everyone knows how to swim.
R.O.B.O.T.S ★★★★ LEGEND
- Special and Smash Attacks ↑
- The enemy's stats are raised
Rising Tide ★★★ ACE
- Assist trophies are friendly instead of hostile
- Hostile assist trophies will appear (Squid Sisters)
Spirits returns in Super Smash Bros. Great Fray, although those appearing in Great Fray are actually duplicates as the original had returned to the real world, allowing the Spirits to return to their physical forms. The duplicates are also easier to manipulate than the original Spirits, as all Spirits can have up to three Support Slots, can have permanent Attack and Defense boost (up to 10000), and have their Rank powered up to increase the power threshold. In addition to all that, those without a effect can be given one by one of the new Master Spirits, Midbus.
The Spirits are also easier to get, as the battles are redone to be able to change in order to avoid getting overwhelmed by four players, especially during Spiritual Crisis, and as a result, the battles become more fair as in those with excessive difficulty had been toned down, but those with Novice and Advanced rank are also made quite more difficult. This is because all non-Legend Spirits can be upgraded into Legend Spirits. In Spirit Board, the minigame required to fully obtain the Spirits is fully removed, and the player can also have access for Pinpoint to get a missing Spirit that is not a Boss.
That said, the duplicates plays a fair bigger role than the original Spirits in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, as in the Story Mode: Spiritual Crisis, they were being used by a known but mysterious Nintendo villain that aims to reset the multiverse by becoming the "Singularity". Eventually, it is revealed to be Andross, but his motivation to do this is yet to be seen.
The evil army didn't collected enough of the duplicated Spirits to allow the mad scientist to become the Singularity yet, but the guardian of the duplicated Spirits, Vizior, aim to get them back and protect them by spreading them out, slowing down the mad monkey's process, and allows Master Hand, Crazy Hand and the fighters to take them away from Andross, but Andross also managed to created a new variants of Spirits; Fusion Spirits, also known as Fusion Bosses.
Fusion Spirits, also known as Fusion Bosses, are a variant introduced in this game, combining the effects of all Spirits used for the fusion. Because of that, they have a unique Rank called Fusion, with the stars being replaced by the Fusion Boss icon, and the player can modify the Rulesets to ban usage of Fusion Spirits or allow them because of their power being overwhelming, even compared to Legend Spirits.
However, they (and the Spirits that are used for fusions) can be only obtained by defeating the respective Fusion Boss in Revenge Rematch, where they get considerably tougher than they already are.
In fact, Fusion Bosses are very powerful and all have two phases, meaning that they can take much beating while able to rack up damage to the fighters, making them tough tests to the players. That being said, they also have weaknesses, such as weak spots, that allows the players to turn the tide when used against them correctly. It is unknown how many Fusion Bosses would there be.
Fusion Spirits reappears in Average Smash Bros, albeit in a different function and no Fusion Bosses are shown to be existing in this game, unlike in Great Fray, but the fusion concept is expanded upon, allowing new combinations to be used to make a new Spirit, similar to the Summon method. In fact, the results in Average Smash Bros. are much safer than those in Great Fray, as they do not transform into violent or diabolical fusioned character.