|Murkrow did not originate from fanon, and the information on this page may not be entirely accurate to their canon. You may read more about this subject in the context of their canon on the following wiki(s):|
|National Dex Nr.||#198|
|Johto Dex Nr.||#213|
|Other Regional Dex Nr(s).|
Murkrow (Japanese: ヤミカラス Yamikarasu) is a dual-type Dark/Flying Pokémon. It evolves into Honchkrow when exposed to a Dusk Stone.
Murkrow is an avian Pokémon with black feathers. Its crooked, yellow beak and the three, feathery tufts on its head resemble a witch's nose and hat respectively. The feathery crest is smaller on the female than on the male. It has semi-circular, red eyes with white sclerae and pupils and a spiky collar of feathers around its neck. The shaggy feathers on its tail resemble the end of a broom, and there is a thin, red band at the base of the tail. Its yellow feet have four toes, three facing forward and one backward.
Murkrow has a fondness for anything sparkly, and it will steal things such as jewelry to bring it back to its nest. Its fondness for shiny objects go as far as fighting with other Pokémon that enjoy shiny objects, such as Meowth and Persian, to gain their stashes. Whenever it is chased, it loses the attacker by leading it down dark mountain trails, and sometimes it does this to travelers as a mean spirited prank. Superstition regards Murkrow as Pokémon of ominous things to come, and of great misfortune if one is seen at night. It is possible to train a Murkrow to repeat words, as seen under Team Rocket's ownership. Murkrow usually lives in forests or swamps.
- Murkrow shares its category name with Sableye. They are both known as the Darkness Pokémon.
- Despite being a Generation II Pokémon, it was actually only available in Kanto in Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal. The same is true for Slugma and Houndour. All three can be obtained in Johto via the Safari Zone in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver.
- Murkrow can be seen as a parallel to Misdreavus. Both of them are Generation II Pokémon whose only evolutionary event utilizes a Dusk Stone into their evolved forms. Murkrow is exclusive to Pokémon FireRed, Diamond, and Black while Misdreavus is exclusive to LeafGreen, Pearl, and White. Additionally, both appear to be based on witches.
- Murkrow is the only Pokémon that evolves with a Dusk Stone that is not a Ghost-type.
- Murkrow is the lightest Dark-type Pokémon.
- Murkrow comes before Misdreavus in the Johto Pokédex, but Murkrow's evolution, Honchkrow, comes after Misdreavus's evolution, Mismagius, in the Sinnoh part of the National Pokédex.
← #197: Umbreon
#199: Slowking →