Hinweis is a story telling RPG adventure game based on the fairytale of Hansel and Gretel, developed by Dollhouse Games and released for PC and Mac on Steam and Origin. The game follows Hansel and his sister Gretel after their encounters with the evil witches Maldehyde and Süsshilde.
Hinweis incorporates elements of action, adventure, and role-playing games. The player controls Hansel and Gretel from a flip-screen overhead perspective as they travel in the overworld, a large map with varied environments. Throughout the game, various characters aid Hansel and Gretel by giving or selling equipment and clues. These people can be found in houses and stores around Hinweis, and interaction with many of them is required to move on to the next act.
Barring Hansel and Gretel's progress are demons and monsters they must battle to proceed with their mission to fight Maldehyde. The game features many locations known as dungeons, where a main demon lives. Each dungeon is a unique, maze-like collection of rooms connected by doors, openings, and secret passages. Dungeons also contain useful items that Hansel and Gretel can add to their inventory, such as a bow and arrow for retrieving long range attacks, and a sword made of a deep blue metal.
More to come...
- The game was originally planned to be set in 1980's America, rather than 15th century Germany.
- Hinweis already has 2 planned sequels:
- Dear Sweet Sister, a short story about two little girls who run into a wizard deep in the Black Forest.
- Brambleberg Diaries, about a small abandoned ghost town past Maudlin Meadows that Hansel, Gretel, and a selection of their friends decide to investigate.
- Ferja's hair is based on the hair of Clementine, a character from Telltale's The Walking Dead game.
- Originally, the game's main antagonist was Süsshilde, who had dragged Hansel and Gretel into the spirit world as revenge for killing her.
- The game makes many references to the moon, it is later elaborated upon further during the events of Dear Sweet Sister.
- The game uses many 8-bit variations of already existing classical music, for example;
- The title-screen plays an 8-bit version of Für Elise.
- Maldehyde's battle theme is an 8-bit version of Moonlight Sonata.
- The boss battle with Princess Maudlin plays an 8-bit of Turkish March.
- The theme for the inside of the Black Forest Chateau is an 8-bit version of Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.
- The theme for the outside of the Gingerbread House is Maple Leaf Rag.
- There is currently a Hinweis AMA going on at Thread:1265666