|Drifloon did not originate from fanon, and the information on this page may not be entirely accurate to their canon. You may read more about this subject in the context of their canon on the following wiki(s):|
|National Dex Nr.||#425|
|Sinnoh Dex Nr.||#065|
|Ability/ies||Aftermath, Unburden, Flare Boost(DW)|
|Average Weight||2.6 lbs.|
Drifloon has a spherical, purple body with two stringy arms that have yellow, heart-shaped hands on the ends of them. At the base of its body is a frayed protrusion that resembles the tied end of a balloon. In the very center of its body is a yellow tape-like "X", which contains its small mouth in the very center. Located on either side of the "X" are its small, black eyes. A white mass of fluff that resembles a cloud sits on top of Drifloon's head. Additionally, shiny Drifloon are yellow instead of purple, and have a light blue patch and hearts. Also, there are no gender differences between male and female Drifloon.
Due to its aimless drifting, this species is known as "Signpost for Wandering Spirits". It has been known to steal children that mistake it for a regular balloon. However, due to its light weight, it can be resisted easily and is often pulled around. Although created by lost spirits of Pokémon and people, as seen in the anime, it can be friendly and helpful. It prefers to reside in damp, humid locations and can expand or shrink to express its feelings.
- Drifloon and its evolution, Drifblim, are the only Pokémon to have the ability Flare Boost.
- Drifloon was the first Generation IV Pokémon to be shown in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- In the Japanese version of Pearl's Pokédex entry, Drifloon specifically takes children to the "world of the dead" (Japanese: あのよ), instead of just trying to "steal them away" as in the English version. However, in the US release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the description along with Drifloon's trophy still states that it is "taking children to the underworld".
- Drifloon shares its category with Jigglypuff's evolutionary family and Qwilfish. They are all known as the Balloon Pokémon.
- Drifloon and Drifblim are the only Pokémon not introduced in Hoenn to be found in the Fluctuating Experience Group.
Drifloon are based on balloons. They also resemble comb jellies, specifically tentaculata.
Drifloon is a combination of drift and balloon.
Fuwante may be a combination of ふわふわ fuwa fuwa (soft, airy and light, or an onomatopoeia for floating), 風船 fūsen (balloon), and 不安定 fuantei (unstable).
Names in other Languages
- French: Baudrive
- German: Driftlon
- Chinese: 飘飘球 (simplified) / 飄飄球 (traditional)
- Korean: 흔들풍손
← #424: Ambipom
#426: Drifblim →