|Publisher(s)|| Xbox Game Studios (present)|
Nintendo (Nintendo 64)
THQ (Game Boy Advance)
|Genre(s)||Platforming (collectation), action-adventure|
|First Game||Banjo-Kazooie (1998)|
Banjo-Kazooie is a series of action-adenture roleplaying games created by Rare. The series stars Banjo, a heroic honey bear, and Kazooie, a sarcastic, red-crested Breegull, and their adventures to stop the evil rhyming witch, Gruntilda, with the help of their friends Mumbo Jumbo and Bottles. Having made its debut in 1998 on the Nintendo 64, it became one of the most popular series of its time and one of the most beloved of the 3D platforming genre, following up the success of the first game with the 2000's sequel Banjo-Tooie.
However, despite its early success, the series had its ups and downs in during the 2000s, eventually going into dormancy ever since the release of 2008's Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Despite this, the series remains loved by a vocal fanbase. Banjo would later make cameos as a playable character in the Xbox 360 version of Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing, as a skin in console versions of Minecraft, and as a playable character in the Super Smash Bros. series.
There are currently four official instalments in the Banjo-Kazooie series that follow a single continuity. In chronological order, the canonical titles in the Banjo-Kazooie series are the following:
- Banjo-Kazooie (1998; Nintendo 64)
- Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (2003; Game Boy Advance)
- Banjo-Tooie (2000; Nintendo 64)
- Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (2008; Xbox 360)
In addition, characters from the Banjo-Kazooie series have made appearances in a number of other video games that are non-canon to the history of their own franchise. Some of these appearances are as follows:
- Banjo-Pilot (2005; Game Boy Advance)
- Diddy Kong Racing (1997; Nintendo 64)
- Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing with Banjo-Kazooie (2010; Xbox 360)
- Rare Replay (2015; Xbox One)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2019; Nintendo Switch)
Due to several, often minor, crossover appearances between the series, it is heavily implied that the Banjo-Kazooie series exists within the same universe as the Donkey Kong and Conker series. A number of other titles developed Rare also sometimes make reference to the series, just as Banjo-Kazooie mentions them. In addition to Mr. Pants making some cameo appearances within Banjo-Tooie and Nuts & Bolts, it is hintedthat one character also made an appearance in Grabbed by the Ghoulies. Regardless of their connections, more often than not the cast of characters in the Banjo-Kazooie series are aware of them being video game characters and as such often break the fourth wall.
- Any page that has
[[Category:Banjo-Kazooie Games]]on them will be added here automatically.
- Banjo-Kazooie is technically one of the three series that have directly spun-off from the Donkey Kong franchise, alongside Super Mario and Conker. As with Conker, this is due to Banjo debuting in Diddy Kong Racing prior to the release of Banjo-Kazooie.